Monday, April 26, 2010

Cost & Effect

J and I found out the hard way that the only time one should do shopping at Whole Foods is when one has a million dollars sitting in the bank. Which we do not.

We went a little crazy yesterday and got some things we had been needing and some other things we were excited to try (soy yogurt, almond milk ice cream bites, homemade granola from a local vendor, a new scent of incense to really drive home the "hippy granola lesbian" stereotype). We decided that next time we were going armed with a strict list of things that can only be bought at the specialty store and to save the rest of it for our regular grocer.

So far the food has been mostly delish and I haven't eaten anything that I've regretted later. I am loving that my food is FRESH and whole and that I'm not eating as much out of boxes, cans, or the drive thru lane anymore. Also in the interest of a complete body cleanse I discontinued taking my happy pill which has left my head less than happy. Mostly dizzy and lightheaded, which is no fun at all. I was hoping that I'd tapered off enough that I could get away without any withdrawal symptoms but it seems I'm not so lucky. So I continue to drink tons of water to help flush it out and stay on top of my Omega 3s (not necessarily vegan but for now I need to take the supplement -- if anyone has suggestions for a vegan-friendly omega supplement I'm all ears). I was only taking it to keep me afloat during a very tumultuous year and realized that I probably don't need it anymore. I am pretty good at judging my mental state and if I start to see that I need chemical assistance I'll just go back on it again.

For now it's time to curl up with my girl and a few episodes of Weeds, our new addiction (no pun intended) and a welcome distraction from this ridiculously agonizing TWW.

1 comment:

  1. Coupons help wtih the soy/organic costs. Most of the companies have loyalty programs with couppons. MamboSprouts is also helpful. And Whole Foods house brand is well-priced and pretty good. They also have nice store coupons. The (difficult) trick is not purchasing anything not on sale :)

    This is the vegan omega supplement I take: http://www.amazon.com/Deva-Vegan-Vitamins-Dha-Algae/dp/B000V8BD4S. I can't say if it's the best because it's the only one I've tried, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete