Saturday, April 24, 2010

Doubts

Today is the first day that I've had any sort of doubts about this vegan thing. Why, you ask?

Dairy Queen, those cow-hating bitches* and their Buy 1, Get 1 for 25 cent blizzards.

J and I used to live in a college town, where DQ was never more than a few blocks away. We spent many nights quietly lounging around the apartment, when all of a sudden one of us would whisper softly "deeeeee cuuuueeee" and we'd be in the car on our way to blizzard town.

I miss blizzards tonight. Ice cream in general, actually. I'd like to look into soy ice cream the next time we're at the grocery store. Hopefully I find one that I will like and/or tolerate enough to get me through my craving.

When we heard Rory Freedman speak last week she mentioned a certain substance in dairy that was addictive, which is why we crave it so much. Cheese has the highest concentration of this substance (casein, the main dairy protein) which act like opiates when digested in the human body. I wonder how much casein is in ice cream...it sure would explain why I want it so bad tonight!

*DQ, I love you. Even if you do sell dairy.

2 comments:

  1. You will find great ice cream substitutes, I promise. Coconut milk ice cream is my favorite, but I have had the chocolate rice ice cream as well, and I'm sure the soy is delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Almond Dream ice cream dibs and they are FAB-YOO-LUS. In fact, I'm going to go have some right now. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete