Today has been a rough day. Not because of my diet or health, but because we found out that our umpteenth try to get pregnant has not been successful. As the pending other mother, it is heartbreaking to watch the person you share your life with pour her entire being into this one thing and not have it work out month after month. It's a helpless feeling too, even though I support her emotionally I can't do a damn thing about the biology. Why can't we just have babies like other couples do? Why can't we just leave the condom off one night and wind up with an "oops" pregnancy a few weeks later? Ugh.
Anyhoo, today was tough and of course it was busy at work (which is my usual luck). When I finally got a chance to take a break, I grabbed an issue of a popular vegetarian magazine and was startled at how politically charged it was. A letter to the editor denouncing Ellen for an award she received for her vegan activism because she's also a Cover Girl spokesperson. A self-proclaimed feminist vegan arguing that we should not be using certain sexist terms when complaining about the meat industry or meat heads in general.
I guess I'm just not there yet. I chose to stop eating meat with J at the beginning of lent because it was something to give up and I knew I'd be eating a healthier diet. I continued that practice because at the heart of my decision to be vegan is the treatment of animals. If meat weren't made from animals, I'd probably eat it. I'd love a meat tree, actually. But knowing that meat used to be a living, breathing, feeling creature, I can't bring myself to eat it. That's pretty much the extent of my agenda when it comes to being vegan. But...I've only been doing this for a little over a week. Maybe as time goes by I'll have a change of heart and keep a spare can of red paint in my purse to toss at someone wearing leather shoes.
What about you guys? Has anyone else felt overwhelmed by vegan politics/activism in the early stages?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love you. Just sayin.
ReplyDelete