Wednesday, May 12, 2010

So delicious! Wait...Does This Have Dairy??

Last night J and I took her mom out for Mother's Day dinner. We delayed a couple of days to give ourselves time to spend with each other on Sunday, which as I mentioned in the previous post was a very emotionally difficult day for both of us. Her mom ended up choosing a local Lebanese restaurant that J's sister and husband had visited a few times, and we were excited to try it out. Both J and I loooooove Middle Eastern cuisine and were excited about getting to have some.

We got to the restaurant and almost immediately were served a bowl of delicious garlic spread. I should have known by the whiteness of the spread that it had milk in it, but I tried a few bites anyway. Then I had a few more bits. Next thing I know, I'm dragging my pita right down the middle of the bowl and shoveling it in my mouth. It was only after the waitress came back to take our order that I asked if there was any dairy in it, and of course she said yes. My heart sank. I know I didn't eat dairy intentionally, but my gut was telling me the whole time that it was probably milk-based and I should stop eating it until I can ask them how it was made.

I ordered a vegetarian sandwich, which comes on a rolled and pan-fried pita (almost like a burrito) with rice and vegetables - and garlic sauce spread all over the inside of the bread. Son of a b. I resigned that I was going to end up eating more of it and bit the bullet. Next time we go I'll remember to ask them to take the garlic sauce off.

By the time we had gotten back in the car to leave, my stomach was in complete knots. J told me it was probably psychosomatic, but I knew what I was feeling. The grumbling, the familiar gurgling sound coming from my gut...it was undeniable. I felt like things were quickly going to come out one end or the other. It wasn't until I woke up this morning that I started to feel normal again.

Just a TINY little bit of dairy made me feel so nauseous and sick! Vegan gods - I've learned my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment